Friday, September 12, 2008

Poetry

So I have been doing a lot of reading lately and as a consequence I have also been doing a lot of writing. I feel like whenever I immerse myself in good books I just itch to write, sometimes short stories, but this time I have been writing a lot of poetry (some of it typically horrendous) but I wanted to post one poem that I am actually somewhat happy with, I am still tweaking it but am posting the current working draft.

Elegy on a Lost Love

I will miss
The lissome whiteness of your thin fingers,
Your eyes
Which called to mind the Sapphire brilliance of a night sky,
Your soft strawberry hair
that never seemed to lay the way you wished.
I will miss your mouth,
With which I was so fascinated,
Thinned in anger or curled in a jovial smirk,
The laughter lurking in the corners of your eyes.
You have placed yourself beyond my reach, so irrevocably.
I will miss
The lost opportunities to smile when I hear your voice,
To gasp in false dismay at your latest shocking pronouncement,
To laugh at our constant misunderstandings,
But most of all I will miss
The way my heart leaped
And I came alive
When I knew you were near,
My love.

So there you have it, my literary attempt after having read The Painted Veil, and Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham and The Possessed by Dostoevsky, all books which I would recommend, but they have perhaps made me a touch maudlin of late.

No comments: